onsdag 19. juli 2017

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart


----
"Secrets are more powerful when people know you've got them."

"She will not be simple and sweet. She will not be what people tell her to be." 

"She wasn't a person who needed to be liked so much as she was a person who liked to be notorious." 


Frankie Landau-Banks is smart, bookish, a little obsessed with senior Matthew Livingston, and she is a criminal mastermind in the making. She learns about a secret male society at her school, and it troubles her that she's excluded from the meetings, the pranks from the opportunity to bond with the people who one day will be her colleagues. Frankie, proud and ambitious, finds ways to penetrate the secret society and make her mark. 

----

I LOVED this book! 

I had to read it after I finished We Were Liars, which was awesome, and although this was a very different sort of book, it did not disappoint. I loved that Frankie, a brilliant but still slightly immature teenage girl, was hungry for the power and the influence she felt her peers had, which she was denied because of her gender. I loved how E. Lockhart never rub anything in your face or get preachy about it, but that the feminist values are still obvious. I loved that Frankie reacted every time she felt that she was treated unfairly, and that E. Lockhart put the often complicated feelings of being discriminated against into words.

Frankie isn't perfect, which you can't expect of a fifteen-year-old anyway. She is impulsive, stubborn and sometimes overreacts, but it was refreshing that she didn't feel the need to be liked. By the end of the book, I felt like I had been reading the origin story of a ruthless politician, and I wanted to know more. 

E. Lockhart is turning out to be one of my favorite authors, and I can't wait to read more of her books! 

----

Have you read any of E. Lockhart's books?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar